The man boobs. One of the most problematic and stress-inducing conditions to deal with if you’re having excess fat in your body. Not just being unhealthy and making you prone to illnesses, man boobs (moobs, bit*h tits, saggy bags, however you’ve heard them called) look really bad, make you lose confidence, and expose you to mocking in many occasions.
If you’ve been dealing with man boobs, you know the situations: feeling too embarrassed to take your clothes off in public, not going to the pool or beach, trying to squeeze your clothing to restrain them to look normal…
If you’ve been there, I know how hard it can be, brother.
That stubborn fat can be so problematic, especially if you’ve committed yourself to get rid of man boobs. No matter how hard you try to work out or diet, moobs keep stressing you out, discouraging you, and make you feel bad.
Today we’re digging deep into the core of the problem. Let’s get rid of these man boobs together and live a happy, shirtless life!
WHAT ARE MAN BOOBS? WHAT CAUSES THEM?
Man boobs are an excess fat concentrated in the area of a man’s breast, near the nipples. Almost 30% of all men deal with some form of man boobs or will do in the future.
The excess fat can be saggy and soft, or firm at some cases. This condition comes from different factors and reasons.
Common Signs Of Man Boobs
The soft tissue developing on the nipple area can be noticed on sight or touch, and it manifests as a steady growth of the breast tissue.
Sometimes it might feel like your breasts are swelling, and they might be painful – these are the signs of gynecomastia, a serious hormonal misbalance state which causes men to develop soft tissue around the nipples.
On the other hand, if you’re overweight, the excess fat will spread across your whole body, including breasts.
Big belly, fat on the hips, back, arms and legs – these are all the symptoms that will appear if you’re living an unhealthy life not being active and eating a lot of junk food.
The Two Types Of Man Boobs
Let’s see what are the differences between these two types of man boobs. This will help you understand what situation you’re dealing with, thus enabling you to treat it the perfect way.
|APPEARANCE||Saggy, pointy, with large nipples and areolas.||Round and saggy|
|SOFTNESS/FIRMNESS||Hard on touch, with lumps around the nipples||Soft overall|
|SPECIFIC AGE||Either developed from a young age or induced by factors later in life||No age-related|
|LOCATION||Nipples||Diffuse chest ( the whole chest being soft and fat)|
As you can see, there is a big difference in the two types of man boobs, both aesthetically and physically. The structure of the formed breast tissue is almost completely different (although there is some fat in gyno-induced man boobs), because the types are developed for various reasons.
Therefore, treating man boobs that are formed differently depends on the factor responsible for their creation. The gyno-induced man boobs are harder to treat, require a special approach and usually a clinical intervention to remove them.
On the other hand, obesity-induced man boobs (called pseudogynecomastia) are much easier to treat; they require you to lose fat, and with a certain amount of fat out of your body, the boobs will start to withdraw.
There are four levels of gynecomastia regarding the amount of swelling or fat contained in the breasts. Since the majority of the man boobs develop because of increased fat deposits in the body and this is related to the lifestyle and diet the most.
Why You Get Man Boobs?
Since pseudogynecomastia mainly comes from being overweight, it’s widely known how you get to this state – not being active and eating too much (especially junk food).
Gynecomastia, on the other hand, can be caused by many different periods in life, and by a number of factors. To fully understand this, we must return to the basics; this state is caused by hormonal imbalance (estrogen/testosterone in favor of estrogen).
- Men in middle age or older have tendencies to develop man breasts simply because their testosterone levels are dropping with time. This is the natural cause to grow man boobs.
- On the other hand, an imbalance in very young age (usually caused by a Hypothalamic-Pituitary Axis failure) sets the young boys into young adulthood with stress, loss of self-esteem and confidence.
- Diet is one of the most common reasons why you have man boobs. Increased sugar, unhealthy fats, and processed oils can stimulate the growth on man boobs.
- Factors like, alcoholism, autoimmune diseases, toxin exposure, prohibited drug abuse, traumatic brain injury, chemotherapy, and genetics contribute to an improper hormone ratio, which can result in developing man boobs, no matter the age.
- Man boobs might be the outcome of the medication you’re using. Antidepressants, amphetamines, and benzodiazepines might provoke an increased estrogen production which causes breasts to grow.
- Several other factors can disturb your inner hormonal balance and stimulate breast growth, such as breast cancers, cysts, hematoma, and even fat necrosis.
- Getting enough sleep is often overlooked, but it contributes to a healthy hormonal balance. If you don’t sleep well and enough, you might be at risk.
- Steroids can have an adverse effect on the man’s body, especially when abused for non-medical purposes.
NUTRITION PRINCIPLES AND SAMPLE DIETS TO GET RID OF MAN BOOBS
The impact of nutrition on a person’s wellbeing is greatly underestimated, and in this section, we will emphasize the importance of eating properly to successfully fight off moobs.
A lot of foods consumed daily by the majority of people are simply junk, meaning that they do not serve the body in a good way.
Junk food, by definition, is rich in calories but low in nutrients, and I’m sure that all of you already know some examples (hamburgers, pizza, donuts, ice cream, potato chips, etc.).
These meals are either too high in simple carbohydrates, too high in “bad” saturated fats or both, while not containing any fiber, vitamins or minerals.
As a result of eating these kinds of foods often, people get fat and increase the possibility of heart disease and cancer. Another thing that might be making troubles is alcohol since it is packed with calories, and many tend to crave junk food after having a few drinks.
How Do Bad Eating Habits Promote Man Boobs?
Besides making people gain fat, junk food can also create a hormonal imbalance in men. The breast tissue in men, as well as women, develops from estrogen. Women tend to have more of this hormone in their bodies while men have higher levels of testosterone.
According to certain scientific research, excessive fat might be the reason for excess estrogen secretions in male bodies thus pushing the estrogen-testosterone ratio out of balance. More estrogen = more boobs.
Having this information in mind, changing your diet should be the first step – there is simply no way around this. Focus on eating whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, whole grains, meat, eggs, and dairy.
However, don’t go crazy about one particular food group; remember, balance is the key here.
The ideal thing to do would be to find the appropriate ratio of proteins, carbs, and fats for your body, and try to include that in your every meal. Feeding your body this way, you’ll source optimal nutrients to force the hormonal balance.
EXERCISE PRINCIPLES AND 3 WAYS TO GET RID OF MAN BOOBS
To get rid of man boobs, you need to start changing your daily routine and implement physical training. If you’re working out already, you need to switch things up and focus on certain aspects of training to achieve the accurate result.
Man boobs can be rally stubborn, and many people fail to get rid of them because of lack of patience, improper way of eating, and improper way of training.
Also, you won’t solve such a demanding problem as man boobs by just starting a workout regime. You need to change your complete routine, the way you behave, your habits, the way you do things, and to start thinking more.
THREE WAYS TO GET RID OF MAN BOOBS:
Based on the nutrition and exercise principles above, we refined three plans to get rid of man boobs:
Option 1: ( Fast way ) Without Going To The Gym
Yes, it is possible to lose man boobs without going to the gym. But you have to be very determined and follow your plan without cheating in either exercises or meals. The essence of losing the man boobs is to gain as much muscle as possible and shed as much subcutaneous adipose tissue (in one word – fat) as possible.
To do so, a person would have to perform exercises that target large muscles, make shorter breaks between sets and do a little cardio here and there. Also, healthier food choices with substantially more protein and vegetables are a must.
How much work you will do depends on a lot of factors such as age, level of psychical fitness, size and weight and the level of your determination, of course. As the time passes and the workout becomes easier for you, you should challenge yourself both mentally and psychically by performing more sets, repetitions and shorten the break between the sets. Remember, your mind sets the limits, not your body.
Here’s an example of a good, quality plan from which anyone can start:
This workout plan should be performed at least once a week. Naturally, if you feel energized and well, you can do it twice per week.
You can do it at home, park, hotel room, and anywhere you see fit. The great thing about it is there is no need for fancy equipment. You have everything you need at home.
Here’s the whole table again so you can use it:
|DAY 1 – EXERCISE 1:|
|DAY 1 – EXERCISE 2:|
|Sets: 5||Repetitions: 10-15|
|DAY 1 – EXERCISE 3:|
|Sets: 5||Repetitions: 8-10|
|DAY 2 – EXERCISE 1:|
Dive bomber push-ups
|Sets: 6||Repetitions: 7-10|
|DAY 2 – EXERCISE 2:|
|Sets: 10||Repetitions: 10 (five with each leg)|
|DAY 2 – EXERCISE 3:|
|Sets: 5||Repetitions: 12-15|
|Day 3 – HIIT||Sets: as many as you can||Repetitions: as much as you can do in 20 seconds|
As you progress and build your strength and stamina, you can increase the number of reps and sets while decreasing the time in between sets. You should workout three days in a row and rest on the fourth day.
Regarding the nutrition, we have established some principles in the third section of our article. Feel free to combine these groceries but remember to eat some protein and vegetables at each meal.
Option 2: ( The best way ) Going To The Gym
In this section of our article, we’ll write about the best way to lose those man boobs for good. The goal is to combine workout with weights and the optimal nutrition so that your hard work pays out as soon as possible.
Why is it so important to train with weights? Because more muscle fibers are recruited, the afterburn effect is greater, and your metabolism is boosted significantly.
Look at it this way: the more muscle you have (combined with the optimal nutrition of course) the leaner you’ll be, and those man boobs will soon be just a bad memory.
Workouts should be short (not more than 1 hour) and intensive. You should train no more than four days a week, repeating two-day cycles of upper and lower body workouts.
Exercises: Upper Body
Exercises: Lower Body
You might be wondering: “Only three exercises for lower body?“
Believe me; this workout is very demanding and difficult. Depending on your fitness level, it can bring you progression, or a fantastic transformation if you’re at the beginning.
If done right, it can strengthen your legs and core significantly, thus increasing your calorie consumption overall, making you a fat burning machine. Keep in mind that everyone should adapt this workout to himself and his fitness level. It should be done four times a week with at least a day of rest in between.
It would be ideal to work your torso on Monday, legs on Tuesday and take Wednesday as your time off. On Wednesday you shouldn’t lift weights, but you should have an active rest. That means that you should walk, maybe swim, play some sports and be active, but not too active.
On Thursday it is torso day again, following the leg day on Friday. Then, take two days off for active rest and recovery.
|Upper body||Lower body||Active rest||Upper body||Lower body||Active rest||Rest day|
5 sets / 8-12 reps
5-6 sets / 5-8 reps
5 sets / 8-12 reps
5-6 sets / 5-8 reps
|Stretching||Chill out and prepare for the nextweek|
4 sets / 10 reps
5 sets / 6-8 reps
4 sets / 10 reps
5 sets / 6-8 reps
4 sets /12-15 reps
4 sets / 12-15 reps
4 sets / 12-15 reps
4 sets / 12-15 reps
|Bent over row:|
4 sets / 8-12 reps
|Swimming||Bent over row:|
4 sets / 8-12 reps
Sleep as much as you can, hydrate and eat well. When you lift weights there is a higher demand for protein and calories in general, so don’t shy on those meals.
Just keep your meals as clean as possible. If you get enough rest and eat clean, the results will be visible in one or two months with ease.
It is not necessary, but right supplementation can aid in your training regime big time. Food supplements have sense only if you eat high-quality foods, of course.
Speaking of meals, you should eat at least four times a day, every 4 hours. Try not to overeat. Instead, eat until you are 80-90 percent full.
When it comes to supplementation, a good multivitamin/mineral tablets are a must. Also, you should take some amino acids first thing in the morning and after a workout with optional whey protein supplement after a workout and in between meals.
Your daily meal plan should look something like this:
- Amino acids with some water first thing in the morning
- Half an hour after that it’s breakfast time: Peper and mushrooms omelet with some avocado. Take your multivitamin/mineral supplement.
- If you get a bit hungry before lunch, drink a protein shake or eat some Greek yogurt.
- Four hours after breakfast it’s time for lunch: Eat a steak with some sweet potatoes and some lettuce.
- Two hours after the lunch have your amino acids, warm up and work out. Drink a protein shake after the workout and eat a banana or some raisins.
- Eat some white rice with turkey breast hour and a half after the workout.
- Have a light dinner in the evening. Some cottage cheese (or some canned tuna) with some cucumbers and tomatoes or a vegetable of your choice.
eel free to replace one type of meat with another (steak with chicken breast or chicken leg). Also, feel free to replace one source of carbs with another.
For instance, you can replace sweet potatoes with regular ones or white rice with some millet (corn, lentils, quinoa, oats, etc.).
In between the breakfast and lunch, you can eat some almonds or Indian nuts instead of Greek yogurt. At dinner, you can eat almost any vegetable (broccoli, lettuce, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, etc.) with tuna, salmon, tilapia, sardine or any cheese.
The main thing is not to complicate too much with your foods. Have two or three food sources and that’s it.
Don’t forget to drink plenty of water which can even go up to three or more liters a day, depending on your size and age. Eat clean, workout hard, rest well and don’t forget to be more positive and enjoy life.
Because life is also what we feel, not just our physical appearance. This relates to man boob problem the most – you’ll definitely going to need some longer time to remove them completely, but in the process, some other results will appear faster.
I’m talking about wider shoulders, bigger arms, and legs, leaner stomach, even some muscles forming under your skin and showing for the first time. Enjoy in these small victories on your road to the ultimate goal.
In other words, don’t focus on the moobs so passionately; you’ll miss your new arms, legs, shoulders, back – and they will be impressive!
Option 3: Going To The Doctor
If you’re suffering from a form of gynecomastia, you’ll have to take a different approach. The doctor’s assessment will determine the depth of the problem, and the state you’re in.
Depending on your state, you’ll have to take drugs, apply cremes or similar medicaments, or ultimately have surgery.
Doctors usually prescribe testosterone treatment to handle man boobs that aren’t large enough, followed by dietary and lifestyle changes. These changes will be similar to the nutritional guidelines we provided in this guide but will focus on natural estrogen reduction.
Many foods can stimulate estrogen production in one’s body; stuff like soy and related products, beans, peas, and tofu. You should remove these from your diet.
At the other hand, there are situations like low testosterone levels, which can manifest through some symptoms. If you have some of these, you should take test your testosterone levels and try to increase it.
There are many nutritional supplements and testosterone enhancers on the market right now, which many would recommend you.
Man boobs can be a tough problem to solve. They can be stubborn, and put a lot of stress on you. The good news is that many have been on this path as you, and many solved this unpleasant problem. It is possible, it is achievable, and you can do it.
There are many support groups and forums that can help you (gynecomastia.org is a great example), communities where you can read news, tips, and communicate with people who have or have dealt with this problem.
It’s crucial to be positive, persistent (even stubborn – be more stubborn than your man boobs!), patient, and the results will eventually appear. You can do it!
RESOURCES AND FURTHER READING
- What it’s like to be afflicted with ‘moobs’ – Telegraph.co.uk
- Gynecomastia: Clinical evaluation and management – US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
- How Important Is “Pseudogynecomastia”? – US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
- Obesity in men: the hypogonadal-estrogen receptor relationship and its effect on glucose homeostasis – US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
- Hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis – Wikipedia.org
- Gynecomastia Has Psychological Impact on Adolescent Boys, Reports Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Wolterskluwer.com
- About Fat Necrosis – Breast-cancer.ca
- Androgens and Adipose Tissue in Males: A Complex and Reciprocal Interplay – Hindawi.com
- Calculate Your Body Mass Index – National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
- Shoulder Dislocation Mobility Drill: Two Minute To-Do – Pat Flynn, YouTube
- How to Low Bar Squat With Mark Rippetoe – The Art of Manliness, YouTube
- 82 Push-Ups You Need to Know About – Greatist.com
- Fat-Melting Cardio with No Equipment – Robert Martin, YouTube
- Can’t Do Pullups (REAL REASON WHY!) – ATHLEAN-X™
- The Core During The Overhead Press (And Other Core-Related Shenanigans) – Breakingmuscle.com
- How to Barbell Row with Proper Form: The Definitive Guide – Stronglifts.com
- Barbell Squat – Bodybuilding.com
- 5 Tips For A Stronger Deadlift – Breakingmuscle.com
- BEGINNER’S SUPPLEMENT GUIDE: 5 SUPPLEMENTS YOU NEED NOW – Bodybuilding.com
- What is Gynecomastia? – Medical News Today
- 9 Warning Signs of Low Testosterone – Healthline.com
- Lose those moobs! – Lighttouchclinic.co.uk
- Best Exercises For Man Boobs – Beginners Guide – Bustingmyfatbelly.com
- How To Get Rid Of Man Boobs And Develop Muscle Instead – Gymjunkies.com