Owning a set of uneven shoulders could entail a daunting responsibility, especially if you’re unable to determine what’s causing it. As it is, misaligned shoulder blades could also indicate a whole lot of causes, and eventually, effects that could be proven detrimental if you’re all nonchalant about it.
May it be due to sleeping on a certain side, carrying a heavy bag or you’re prone to talking on the phone with your head leaning down to your shoulder, there are now ways on how to fix uneven shoulders.
But before this physical discomfort leads to more worrying conditions such as muscle imbalance or scoliosis, allow me to indulge you with this research I’ve made on alleviating your condition in ways that are both quick and simple.
Let’s Get Started!
And as the content you’re about to dive in is mostly from individuals and organizations, these steps and exercises should not be taken as medical advice, as a diagnosis and should be followed with strong caution, as your treatment.
It’s always paramount to consult your condition with a doctor or healthcare provider first so they could procure specifically what your health needs are.
Things You’ll Need
Method #1: Stretching Exercises
Stretching exercises are definite ways to correct an unbalanced pair of shoulders. In contrast, doing basic exercises will only worsen your condition as it will cause one shoulder to work harder than the other, ultimately leading to bursitis, tendonitis, headaches and neck pain.
- 1.) Stand in a doorway.
- 2.) Bend your right elbow to 90 degrees.
- 3.) Lift your right arm. Ensure that your upper arm is parallel with the floor.
- 4.) Now, place your right forearm on the side of your doorway then move your chest and shoulders forward to the left until you experience a feeling of stretch in your right shoulder.
- 5.) Hold the last position for 20 seconds. Repeat the steps on the other side.
Method #2: Resistance Band Stretching
Stretching using a resistance band can aid your mid-back to offset your shoulder misalignment. As such, your choice and use of a resistance band here are crucial as it is a key to restoring the balance on your shoulder.
- 1.) Stand with your feet together.
- 2.) Hold each hand of your resistance band. Ensure that you hold on them tightly, enough for you to grip it. Don’t grab each end with much force as this may shock your muscles.
- 3.) Lift your arms up. Your arms should be adjacent to the floor.
- 4.) Now, extend your arms to your side. Form a letter “T” with your body, with your arms still parallel to the floor.
- 5.) Propel your arms together in front of your body and adjacent to your shoulder. You can perform this method in 10 repetitions.
Method #3 Stretch Your Shoulders A Bit More
The steps I’m about to impart are a series of stretches that are essentially strengthening exercise that could lessen or correct your condition.
- 1.) Stretch the side of your neck which is beside the affected shoulder. You can enhance this by dropping your opposite ear to the opposite shoulder. Hold this position for at least 20 seconds.
- 2.) Next, stand tall as you turn your thumbs up and move your arms away from your body. This can be achieved with about a 35-degree angle. Do this until they are all above your head. To check if you’re doing this correctly, you should be able to form like the human letter “Y”.This specific method will beef up a muscle in your body that is called “lower traps”. Also, this can be done with the aid of dumbbells.
- 3.) A simple move called “scapular depressions” can also be performed. Quite simply, picture yourself as if you were trying to get up from a chair. With this, you’d usually put your hands on the armrests while you push yourself up onto your feet.
Focus on pulling your shoulder blades back towards your back pockets and squeezing them together respectively.
Watch this video to learn more about scapular depressions.
Method #4 An Exercise Specially Designed To Make Your Thoracic Spine More Flexible
Excessive slouching can also affect your neck and shoulders. Your thoracic spine or the mid-back forms a natural curve that is also looking to be pointing forward. And if you slouch a bit too repetitively, the tendency is that it could create a hump that is often stiff and painful.
However, if you try to make this spine more flexible or simply by reversing the curve, you may now be able to realign your shoulders in no time.
- 1.) Lay on a large exercise ball while your feet are on the ground. Look up at the ceiling.
- 2.) Slowly roll or extend your mud back over the top of the ball so your head gets closer to the ground.
- 3.) If you’re already feeling a good stretch that is not that painful, hold it in for 15 seconds. Repeat this step for at least 10-15 times daily.
- List item
- List item
You can also perform the classic “Superman” pose to even your shoulders.
- 1.) Lay your face down on some padded flooring with your arms outstretched above your head.
- 2.) Lift your chin and arms. Also, do the same to your legs as if you’re simulating this famed superhero in the sky!
- 3.) Hold the position for 15 seconds at least. Perform 10-15 repetitions on a daily basis. Note: Ensure that you have a pillow right below your stomach when you perform this method. This will prevent your back from extending that much when you raise your legs, arms, and head.
Meanwhile, there are alternatives that you could do to aid you in making your thoracic spine more flexible. These options include swimming, rowing exercises, and yoga classes.
Method #5: Yoga Poses To Lessen Neck And Shoulder Pain That Causes Misalignment
Chronic pain around your shoulder blades along with your upper back and neck can definitely jumble your pair of shoulders, making them seem unsightly and a burden at the same time. If you’re typing on the computer all the time or just lifting heavy objects, these poses may work for you.
- 1.) Bend your elbows and interlace your fingers right behind you. This should separate the palms of your hands.
- 2.) Keep your elbows bent while lifting and squaring your shoulders. Draw your shoulders back as move your elbows toward each other so that your upper arms are parallel.
- 3.) Make sure you don’t overextend your elbows or attempt to straighten your arms. This reduces the effectiveness of the stretch. As such, the proper action of squaring the shoulders, bending your elbows and placing your upper arms parallel will rotate your upper arms outward.
In this way, you should be able to open the space between your upper chest along with the fronts of your shoulder joints. Your arm bones will also be able to “hug” the shoulder joints
if you need a Weight Watchers Scale then, please follow the article
Bad posture and the improper use of your shoulder during your daily undertakings are surefire ways to misalign your pair of shoulders. And before it goes serious, it’s your responsibility to ascertain such condition with your healthcare provider.
After determining that you are indeed owning uneven shoulders, this collated list of exercises and stretching may walk you through just right. However, it is still best if you consult these methods first with your doctor.
If you have some more tips or methods that you’d like to share, sound them in the comment section below.
My name is Paul. I’m a fitness enthusiast and have an unending passion for what I do. My many years of schooling has brought me to where I am now, and I couldn’t be happier. My choice of lifestyle has improved everything in my life and helped me become healthier than I have ever been.